And The BoneHead Of The Week Award Goes To…….

Sunday, March 8, 2009

JTG Dauandys-bonehead_gcgherty Racing crewman Jimmy Watts.

During today’s Sprint Cup race at Atlanta Motor Speedway, the caution waved unexpectedly at lap 67. I would be willing to bet that everyone was thinking a wreck, or a blown tire, or perhaps an expired engine was the culprit of the yellow flag, right?

Wrong! The yellow flag came out because JTG Daugherty crewman, Jimmy Watts, ran out onto the frontstretch grass to retrieve a run away tire. Mr.  Watts found himself  about 50 yards or so from where race cars were zooming by at over 180 mph! Since the crewman was so close to the race track, NASCAR officials had no choice but to throw the caution to ensure the crewman’s safety.

Ambrose_crewmanwithtire_Atlanta_March82009 BoneHead of the Week Award recipient, Jimmy Watts, retrieving run away tire at lap 67.

NASCAR ended up “parking” Jimmy for the remainder of the race. He later had to meet with NASCAR official after the conclusion of the race to discuss his actions and any possible penalties.

I’m not sure how NASCAR may handle this. I can’t recall anything like this happening before. I have seen instances where crew members chase run away tires, but never seen a crewman go that close to the actual track before - especially to the point where NASCAR has to throw the yellow flag.

Ambrose_crewmancomesbackwithtire_Atlanta_March82009 Here Jimmy Watts gets back to pit road safely after a dumb move.

I believe NASCAR should go light on the guy. I mean what he did was pretty darn stupid, but the guy was just trying to hustle. NASCAR already suspended him for the remainder of the race, and I’m sure gave him a stern talking-to. Plus, without a doubt everyone will rib the heck out of him for awhile about this event.

That right there is probably enough punishment to take. But Jimmy…. next time just let the tire go, dude. It’s just not worth your life!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Active Integrated Marketing said...

I can't believe I missed that! But I agree with you - the ribbing he's going to take is far worse than any "punishment" NASCAR can give him.

Tee Riddle said...

I would definitely hate to be him going into work come Monday morning. If he works around the type of guys that I work around, they will NEVER let him forget that move.

Post a Comment