Could Kyle and Richard Have Saved Petty Enterprises?

Saturday, February 14, 2009

I just finished reading an article on USA Today’s website pertaining to Kyle Petty’s frustrations over being left without a ride for 2009. When Petty Enterprises was bought by Boston Ventures then merged with Gillett Evernham Motorsports, to form Richard Petty Motorsports, Kyle found himself outside the loop. The organization brought in young drivers A.J. Allmendinger and Reed Sorenson, which left the No. 45 team defunct.

First off, I have been a Richard Petty fan since I could stand up. My mom always told people that the first word I ever uttered was Richard Petty. Not “Momma”, not “Dada”, but Richard Petty. Growing up about 45 minutes from Rockingham, we often visited North Carolina Motor Speedway. I was die hard Richard Petty all the way. Every t-shirt I owned had a 43 on it. Since I followed The King, I had to follow his son as well. I instantly became a Kyle Petty fan, too.

Right off the bat, I knew Kyle would become the megastar his dad was. I knew Kyle would become one of the most successful drivers in NASCAR history. Kyle started out in that fashion, but over the years settled into “back-runner” status.

In 27 seasons, Kyle Petty posted eight wins. Kyle has been an important part of the sport, but that’s not the stellar career he should have had. He did enjoy some success during his time at Felix Sabates Racing driving the Mello Yello Pontiac in the late 1980’s and 1990’s.

Here comes the reader warning. Some of the things I’m about to say might offend some long-time race fans, but I have to call it how I see it – good or bad.

Richard and Kyle Petty are two of the biggest reasons Petty Enterprises is now basically non-existent. How could I say such a thing? Well, let’s examine this a bit.

It has been 13 years since Kyle parked a race car in Victory Lane. During that span he has struggled to finish races in the top 20, and since the top 35 rule, has struggled to maintain a top 35 points standing. Many times in the last several years, Kyle was unable to qualify for races. Running like that bodes difficult on keeping and finding sponsors. The Petty name will get you by only so far, especially during tough economic times.

Years ago, Kyle should have realized that his best racing days are behind him and relinquished his seat at Petty Enterprises. Now, I know just giving up something you love is a difficult, sometimes impossible, thing to do. I really believe that Kyle tried to keep racing in the name of his deceased son, Adam. But Kyle should have given up his seat for the sake of the company and his family’s legacy.

Let’s face it, if Kyle was with any other team, he would have been released of his driving duties a long time ago.

At this time, Petty Enterprises could have went out and aggressively sought a young, talented driver, such as a Kevin Harvick, Denny Hamlin, or Kyle Busch, that could do something with the No. 45 car and team. Petty Enterprises should have began a driver development program, like Hendrick, Gibbs and Roush.

Perhaps the Petty’s were too set in their ways. Maybe they felt that they could keep up in today’s NASCAR by running it old school. But too many times we have seen teams fall by the wayside because they did not do the things needed to stay with the pack. Sure, some of that reason could be finances – not everyone has Gibbs’, Roush’s, or Hendrick’s pocket book. Even without the big money, I feel that the Petty’s could have done more to keep Petty Enterprises alive years ago.

I’m sure both Richard and Kyle have had many a sleepless night pondering over the same thing.

It was a very sad day for me personally when I heard that Petty Enterprises had been sold to Boston Ventures. It was also a sad day when Petty Enterprises merged with Gillett Evernham Motorsports. Even though the team has been renamed Richard Petty Motorsports, I really feel like Richard Petty is just the team mascot, and has nothing to do with the business side of the organization.

Watching the 51st Annual Daytona 500 tomorrow without a Petty driving for the first time since 1965 will be heart-breaking. I hope the Petty’s can somehow make a comeback, but the possibility looks bleak.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Post a Comment